Washington Court House, the county seat of Fayette county, Ohio, was founded in 1810 by Benjamin Temple. The residents named the town in honor of former President George Washington. The current court house was built in 1885 for $45,000. The tower column houses a Seth Thomas #19 mechanism that controls four clock faces. We did a complete restoration of their four 8-foot diameter clock dials and motion works. The Fayette county courthouse is well known for the beautiful murals on the interior walls done by Archibald Willard. Interesting fact, on October 17, 1894, a riot took place at the courthouse. An angry mob stormed the building. National guard troops positioned inside the courthouse to ensure the safety of a prisoner, were ordered by Colonial Coist, to fire through the courthouse doors at the mob, killing five men. The bullet holes remain in the courthouse doors to this day.